Sunday, November 9, 2008

Trash Pickin Chair




This chair was a wonderful find. Luckily the only thing the wood needed was a good cleaning with some furniture soap. I perfer
to use a wood soap for these projects. Once clean then I oiled and
polished it. Amazing what a little bit of elbow grease will do.

The
seat was a different story, once I was able to get all the horse hair (
that smelled and was so full of dirt) out, the springs just fell out.
Their strings were totally rotted away.

I was able to save the embroidered part. First I sprayed it with a foam upholstery cleaner then blotted till most of the stains had been removed. I was afraid to apply to much.

Next, after it dried, I lined the embroidered seat with a new fabric, to give it strengh. Then I added new foam, and cut three wooden dowels to hold the foam in. Then I finished by staple
gunning fabric to hide all the insides. Now seat back on chair frame
and fanny on chair. Most have done some thing right because my bottom
did not fall thru the seat. LOL!!

3 comments:

Vickie said...

Good job on a great find! That's a lovely chair! You just can never tell where you might find a treasure!

Linda said...

This looks wonderful. I'm glad you were able to save the embroidered piece...
I love the mirror on your side bar...I've got to back to your blog and see if you posted about it.
hugs, Linda

Sondra said...

I love it!!! But who the heck do you keep up with everything?? I became a follower today. I'll try to be a consistent one, but I should apologize in advance if and when that happens!!! I get so overwhelmed with life!